Tuesday 18 October 2011

Series Review - Ceramics: A Fragile History

Episode 1:

Well that was an hour of my life that I will never get back. I was expecting to learn about a specific ceramicist, artist, ceramic legend if you will, instead I saw a series of works made by unknown ceramicists that did not appeal to me at all. The only redeeming feature was the reviews of each different types of ceramics produced and the facts and features that surround them.

Episode 2:

Such a difference from episode one. This was interesting and fun to watch, I have now learnt a lot about ceramics, its "legends", its uses and a few applications. This episode also made me feel a bit sad, it had caught on camera a variety of different run down factories in Stoke-On-Trent where ceramic vases, plates, pots etc still stood on shelves and in storage abandoned as if every worker had just vanished. It also bought the message home of how a group or company's work changes when times get hard. E.G. Wedgwood was one of the leaders of the ceramic scene with new methods of forming ceramics and glazes, he took ceramics to the next level and made it fancy but affordable to the average household. (I will dedicate a post to Wedgwood). The company still exists but all of the products are mostly made across seas where labour is cheaper, this fact alone made me feel that we have thrown away this part of our heritage and dumped on the history of Wedgwood and his ceramics in exchange for a cheaper work force. Guess thats how the world works now.

Episode 3:

Coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment