Tuesday 23 October 2012

CC: Closure

So, we have a new project at last and its slightly different to any other project I have had before due to the fact we don't have a fully set brief, part of it will be made up by an outside company. We where told that we could look for a competition, past, present or future and work to their set brief in the way we would if we where entering it but we didn't have to and we had to be finished by the OCVC set deadline.

The competition I have decided to use is set by "weloveyourbooks" and is their competition from 2009, the title is "Closure". The rule is that we have to make a book that relates to the word closure in some way, it does not matter which way we take it but it needs to relate. It can be a working book, decorative book or sculptural book and we would need to sent three JPEG images of our pieces to be put on to the exhibition website, however this competition is now closed.

My Idea:
I first thought about making a book full of different style doors that would close on to each other in a similar way you have probably seen in a cartoon or comedy sketch at one point in your life, and it is that very fact that put me off of the idea straight away. So I decided to take the word down a new route and think about emotional closure, the kind you find in relationships, you cant move on from it or believe its over until you get it kind of closure. I brainstormed some ideas but could not get past the first one, which I have designed in CAD images below.

Colour Set 1:

Colour Set 2:

Colour Set 3:


My idea is this, I plan to make an opening book in the shape of an engagement ring box as well as an origami engagement ring that will sit between two foam pads on the inside of the box. I have used the above colour schemes as they can be found in both ring boxes and book binding, I am also planning a sparkly surprise for the origami ring that will sit inside. On the box lid there will be a pair of scrolled initials in a gold heart of the couple who where to be engaged, on top of that will be either a sticker or stencil saying return to sender and the male partners name and address. I chose this as in most times in life, movies etc the engagement or wedding ring being returned to the partner who gave it is the closure that the relationship is over. I am currently thinking of using colour set 3 for this project as the box looks classy and the black interior will show off the ring. I will post a picture map of what materials are where shortly...stay tuned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment