Sunday 13 May 2012

New Findings: Edgar Hewitt Nye

Ever since seeing the BBC television show "Who Do You Think You Are" I have always wanted to research my family tree, both my mother's and my father's, however I had no idea how to do so.


At the end of 2011 to the beginning of 2012 we where written to by a lady called Pat who lived in Australia and was following her husbands family tree (the Nye family tree), the letter was written to my great uncle Robin Nye and then shared with my nan Rita Nye. The letter also said that Pat and some of her family where planning a trip to England in order to find out some more about the Nye family. 


At the beginning of this month Pat and her family arrived in England and at the beginning of this week took a trip up to Oxford to meet with my nan and my great uncle, they came prepared with their findings so far. One relation that stuck out was my mothers great grandfather Edgar Hewitt Nye who through some research of our own we have found to be an American fine/ impressionist artist. This makes Edgar Hewitt Nye my 2x great grandfather. 




Edgar Hewitt Nye was a painter and teacher who was born in 1879 in Richmond, Virginia, and died in 1943 in Washington, DC, where he lived most of his life, except for the years he spent in France and England between 1901 and 1914. He taught privately at his studio.He studied at the Corcoran School and with J.N. Barlow of England. He was a member of the Society of Washington Artists; Washington Watercolor Club; and the Washington Landscape Club. 

Example:



Our Street
"Edgar Hewitt Nye (American/ Washington DC, 1879-1943), 
gouache/watercolor on silk panel
signed and dated E NYE 1920, l.r.
title inscribed on panel verso
19.5" x 24.25"

Other Examples:



I have found it completely inspiring to find out that I am related to such a talented artist from the past. I am hoping to find out more about the Nye side of my family tree from Pat and her family and continue with my own research after they have returned home. I would also now like to visit the American galleries where my great, great grandfathers work is being exhibited and see it in person. I am also planning to post any further findings and examples of work by Edgar Hewitt Nye to my blog very soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment